When it comes to skincare, theres no “one-size fits all” solution.
We recently got multiple inquiries from african americans readers, asking us to recommend products for their specific type of skin.
In this post, we covered just that.
We will start by going over the african american skin type and its characteristics, and then dive deep into the best face washes for the african american skin type.
African American Skin Characteristics
African american skin is known to have higher levels of melanin. In general, dark skin is known to be less vulnerable to sun damage which is great! the high amount of melanin protects the skin from formation of wrinkles and damages caused by the sun, including uv rays.
That being said, one of the most common ‘issues’ when having darker skin, is oiliness.
African americans often complain about having oily skin, thats due to their skin having more, or larger, sebaceous. As it was well described in this post by crutchfield dermatology.
Furthermore, if you have a darker skin type, you may experience hyperpigmentation that could lead to their faces become dry or acne prone.
Your skin may become inflamed or itchy. If this occurs, then you have a medical condition called dermatitis. To help prevent it, you will need to make sure that you choose one that is suitable for your skin type.
So, with having all that in mind, we went out to look for the best face wash that will benefit our african american readers. Are you ready to find out who these are?
Best Face Washes for African American Skin
This face wash can help to manage and balance acne prone and oily skin. This wash will refresh your skin and help to eliminate the grime and impurities on your face. There are also fine grains in the wash that will help to foliate your skin. This will get rid of the dead skin cells that make your complexion dull looking. This wash contains tamarind extract and African black soap. These help to brighten up your complexion to helping renewed, healthy cells to resurface.
- Contains tea tree oil to absorb excess oil production to mattify oily skin.
- Formulated with shea butter, oat, and aloe to replenish moisture into your skin.
- Great for sensitive skin as it has no irritating ingredients like parabens and mineral oil.
- It will help to get your skin back into balance.
- Has a runny consistency so best used for a vigorous scrub.
- Does not help with acne scars.
This is a multi-use product. It is not only for your face but can be used as a body wash, for your shaving needs, and shampoo. It is unscented and unrefined so all this product offers are natural ingredients. It is infused with shea butter, which moisturizes and nourishes your skin.
- Perfect for any skin type but geared toward sensitive skin as it has no irritating ingredients.
- No synthetic fragrance or artificial coloring.
- No parabens, vegan, and cruelty-free.
- Can be used on a daily basis.
- Has no sulfates so it does not lather or suds up like some other soaps do that have sulfates.
- Can sometimes cause a little drying of your skin if you have oily and acne skin.
This soap is made from many nourishing ingredients. These include palm kernel oil, shea butter, cocoa pods, coconut oil, and much more. All of the ingredients in this soap give your skin intense moisture. It is produced in fair trade communities in Ghana and the money from buying this soap goes back to these farmworkers. The ingredients are 100% pure natural and handmade ingredients. You can also make your own liquid soap by melting one-third of the soap in two-thirds water, let dissolve, stir, and ready to use.
- Infused with plantain skin that is rich in antioxidants that will help to protect your skin from free radicals.
- Great for dry skin with all the nourishing ingredients.
- Vitamin C to help brighten dark spots and acne scars.
- Good for mature skin as it may have anti-aging products, so you do not have to worry about fine lines and wrinkles.
- Comes in a one-pound bar so will last you months.
- Raw, organic African black soap.
- So large you may have to cut it into pieces that are easier to hold.
- It may leave a brown residue, but it does not stain.
This soap is also produced in Ghana, West Africa so you are getting authentic soap using a traditional West African recipe. It is infused with coconut oil, shea butter, and palm oil to give the best moisture level for your skin. Protects your skin from dark spots.
- Conditions and softens your skin to make it a silky feeling.
- Rich in vitamins E and A to protect it from free radical damage and strengthen your skin barrier.
- Contains small particles of ash from plantain skin so you can exfoliate and scrub away dead skin cells.
- Helps to combat the signs of aging like wrinkles and fine lines.
- Could be too strong and cause sensitive skin to have a burning sensation.
#5 Cetaphil Facial Cleanser Review
This face wash for African American skin has a gentle formula made for normal to oily skin. It is the perfect face wash to use every day. The foaming formula will help to remove dirt from your skin but not strip it of all its natural oil. If your skin does not have its natural oil, it could lead to itching and dry skin.
- Non-comedogenic so it will not clog your skin pores helping to prevent a breakout of acne.
- Hypoallergenic so safe for sensitive skin.
- Effective makeup remover
- Has a strong fragrance.
- Must use more to get a good lather.
#6 Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Pink Grapefruit Cream Facial Cleanser Review
This face wash is designed to help cleanse the pores and treat acne. It has grapefruit extracts rich in vitamins and antioxidants. It helps to tone out skin irregularities and helps to eliminates free radicals, leaving your skin look healthy and young.
- Contains salicylic acid to help with treating acne.
- Creamy foam helps to remove makeup and dirt from your skin.
- Helps to reduce blemishes and blackheads with the help of exfoliating microbeads.
- After washing, it can leave a film on your skin.
- Although it makes a creamy foam, it does not lather up.
- Some claim you get dry skin if you use it every day.
It has a simple skin-strengthening formula but there is no single magic ingredient that will lighten up your dark or acne spots or brighten your face. Instead, it will keep your face hydrated and healthy so you can deal with whatever skin conditions you have. Hydrates as you wash to strengthen and restore your skin barrier. This makes it more resilient against impending breakouts and skin damage.
- Rich in three essential ceramides and hyaluronic acid.
- Non-foaming so it is super gentle.
- Does not strip your skin of natural moisture with unnecessary suds and harsh sulfates.
- Non-irritating so it is great for sensitive skin but more suited for dry skin.
- Can leave a greasy feeling on your skin, especially if you have oily skin and you do not rinse it right.
- Does not form a lather.
How to Choose the Best Face Wash/Cleanser for African American Skin
- Know what your skin type is: What you need to know is if you have dry, oily, or combination skin. Knowing this will help ensure you choose the right product that is suited for your skin type. Choosing the right product will help it does its job correctly.
- Non-comedogenic face wash: You want to make sure that whatever face wash or cleanser that you choose does not clog your pores. If you have clogged pores, it means that you have dirt in them. This can cause acne issues and blackheads.
- Avoid harmful chemicals and artificial fragrances: If your face washes contain harsh chemicals or things like paraffin and parabens, they can be harmful to your skin. If they contain artificial fragrances, these could cause breakouts and inflammation.
- Chose one with a moisturizing agent: A person with African American skin may look too ashy if after you wash your skin and it is too dry. One with a moisturizing agent will help to prevent this issue.
- Natural ingredients: 100% natural ingredients are very important in a face wash especially if you have sensitive skin. This will also work for oily or dry skin but if you have combination skin, you will need a gentle face wash for all skin types.
- Lower pH: If your skin is oily, you should make sure that your face wash has a lower pH content. If the pH is too high, it can remove the excess oil from your skin and cause your skin to be too dry. This can damage your pores.
THE BOTTOM LINE
This pretty much sums up our best face washes for african american skin type review.
As stated, make sure that you look at the ingredients before purchasing any face wash for African American skin.
You want to make sure that it contains natural ingredients, especially if you have sensitive skin. You want your face to look radiant, feel healthy, and look youthful after washing it. Look for authentic African black soaps that contain the ingredients that are best for that type of skin.
You want to look for a face wash that will get rid of oil, impurities, and dirt completely off the surface of the skin.
You want them to get down into your pores to get rid of all the oil and dirt that can clog your pores and cause an acne outbreak. Look for a product that will help to fade dark spots so your face will shine. If you want to use it on a daily basis, make sure it is meant for daily use.
Last, please share this post via social media to help us grow !